We will invest in our young people, working to develop new local training and jobs. We’ll work with business to bring in new higher paid jobs and we’ll give extra support to local people who want to start their own business or grow an existing one.
In North Warwickshire our economy is focused on low skilled and low paid jobs, resulting in local people not having enough spare money in their pockets to grow our economy and create new jobs in the range of industries we need for a more vibrant local economy.
For many people the only way they can find higher skilled and better paid jobs is to travel outside of the Borough which results in 79% of people travelling to work by car.
We will invest in local people, helping provide opportunities to gain new skills and enter higher paid employment.
Your next Labour and Co-Operative Council will:
- Work with local businesses and education providers to deliver a new ‘Skills Academy’ college to provide local people with the opportunity to learn new skills to gain employment.
- Deliver 200 new apprenticeships, including 40 that are directly employed by the Council.
- Campaign for all skills funding to be devolved to our Borough so that local services are truly local.
- Introduce the North Warwickshire Jobs Guarantee so that any North Warwickshire resident who applies for a Council job and who meets the minimum requirements will be guaranteed an interview.
- Establish a new ‘Learning Fund’ to provide short term loans and grants to residents who want to go back into education or employment but can’t afford to do so.
- Work with our local credit union so that any full repayments of the Learning Fund for those entering employment, will be, with their agreement, transferred to a new credit union account for them to use in the future. Helping establish savings for residents in our Borough.
- Invest in our young people, introducing the North Warwickshire Education Maintenance Allowance for pupils whose parents are on low incomes. A regular weekly payment for those qualifying young people.
- Provide new retail and industrial units across our Borough, delivering additional space for new jobs.
- Limit the number of new distribution warehouses built in the Borough, focusing instead on creating jobs in higher paid industries.
- Work with private sector partners to deliver superfast broadband across the Borough and work with mobile phone providers to improve mobile phone signal in North Warwickshire.
- Lobby Government to invest in our area. We need to ensure our major roads, like the A446, A5 and M42 get the investment they need so we can open up our Borough to new high paid jobs.