In a closing speech of her election campaign, the outspoken Labour candidate, Julie Jackson has warned pensioners in North Warwickshire and Bedworth that they should read the Conservative manifesto before voting.
“Pensioners need to be warned that the Conservatives plan to hit them with a triple whammy. Pensioners would be poorer. They need to know that. It’s in black-and-white in the Conservative manifesto. They can see it for themselves. The Conservatives plan to:
- Strips winter fuel allowance from millions of pensioners– those who get it would now be means tested
- Scraps the state pension triple lock – so that from 2020 the guaranteed 2.5% increase will be ditched.
- Slaps a new dementia tax on your home – anyone who requires care at home will have the cost taken from the value of their house. When pressed, Theresa May refused identify the level of the tax.
“Put simply, the Conservatives will cut pensions and only Labour can stop them.
“Labour promises a fair deal for pensioners.
- Keep the winter fuel allowance, free bus passes and TV licenses.
- Keep the triple lock to protect pensions
- Give millions of women born in the 1950’s pension justice
- Stop privatisation of the NHS
“Pensioners have worked and paid their taxes. Labour will protect pensioners.”